Gift Ideas for Skaters
December 2, 2013
The Speed Skate Cellar has great gift ideas for the skaters in your life! Call 403-220-7911.
- Skate pendant with chain (sterling silver) $45
- Skater pendant with chain (sterling silver) $50
- AASSA Buffs $30
- AASSA Toques by Swift $30
- Pennington Blackhawk Jig $240
- Viking Sharpening Stone $50
- Viking Burr Stone $8
For more ideas check out; http://atlanticlongtrack.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/gift-ideas/
Alberta Members Honored
October 21, 2013
In June 2013, Speed Skating Canada awarded the following to these Alberta speed skaters and supporters;
• Female Coach of the Year: Shawna Pearman
• Officials of Excellence Award: Rod Fisher
• Jean R. Dupre Administrator of the Year Award: Alice Humeny
• Jeremy Wotherspoon Award (male long track skater of the year): Jamie Gregg
• Rising Star for Long Track: Kate Hanly
• Gagne Family Award: The Greggs: Kathy, Randy, Jamie, Jessica, Sarah and Ryan
AASSA acknowledges the contribution of all athletes, coaches, officials and other volunteers who make speed skating better for Albertans. You are a great source of inspiration for all of us – congratulations!
Alberta Sport Plan
October 11, 2011 - Deadline has been extended to Midnight Monday, October 14th
The Alberta Government would like to know your priorities for amateur sport in the province! Your responses to the survey will contribute to the renewal of the Alberta Sport Plan which will provide direction for provincial government support to amateur sport for the next 10 years. http://albertasportplan.budgetsimulator.com/
New Oval Ice Policy
September 13, 2013
A message from the Olympic Oval - The long track NTC ice time will now be open to any Canadian speed skaters who meet the “A Group” ice time standards. These standards can be found here http://schedules.oval.ucalgary.ca/PublicHPLT.aspx; only one time standard must be met. This new policy is subject to change at any time.
Speed Skating Canada 126th AGM
OTTAWA – Speed Skating Canada (SSC) held its 126th Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Ottawa this past weekend uniting membership from across the country. The AGM included a combination of formal association business, elections, educational information and discussion sessions as well as the President’s Welcome and Recognition reception, which is Speed Skating Canada’s opportunity acknowledge and recognize the dedicated volunteers who contribute to making the sport of speed skating so successful.
Board members elected to the SSC Board of Directors include Tony Main, Treasurer (Vancouver); Jim Elliott, Director (Ottawa); David Gilday, Director (Yellowknife); Jean R. Dupré, Director (Montreal). They will join Marie-Claire Rouleau, President (Montreal); J.F. Monette, Athlete director (Montreal); Susan Auch, Director (Winnipeg); Jim Allison, Director (Abbotsford). SSC wishes to thank Michelle Casoni, who stepped down as Director, for her work.
SSC also elected members to the High Performance Long Track Committee, including Derek Auch (Calgary); Annie Perrault (Montreal). Gaétan Boucher (Rosemère) was elected to the High Performance Short Track Committee to replace outgoing member Tom Overend.
Every year, at SSC's Annual General Meeting, awards are presented to deserving individuals in a number of categories, in recognition for their achievements during the season or lifetime involvement. The following Alberta members were honoured:
- Kate Hanly (Calgary), Long Track Rising Star Award;
- Jamie Gregg (Edmonton), Jeremy Wotherspoon Award - Male Long Track Skater of the Year;
- Alice Humeny (Calgary), Jean R. Dupré Award - Administrator of the Year;
- Rod Fisher (Calgary), Officials of Excellence Award;
- Shawna Pearman (Red Deer), Coach of the Year – female;
- Gregg Family: Randy, Kathy, Jamie, Jessica, Sarah and Ryan (Edmonton); Gagne Family Award (Family that has made an outstanding contribution to the development of the sport of Speed Skating in Canada):
- Gabrielle Waddell (short track), Peter Williamson Memorial Trust Fund Bursaries
The 2014 SSC AGM has been scheduled for June 27-29th in Ottawa.
Congratulations Richard Starke!
Dr. Richard Starke, former coach with the Lloydminster Border Blades, has been named the new Minister of Tourism in Premier Redford’s cabinet;