March 24, 2020
- All end of season competitions have been cancelled including the WEM Fun Meet, the ST Youth - Canada West Championship (CanWest) and the ST and LT Canada Cups (Junior and Senior Finals)
- The April 2020 Level 3 Referee Clinic in Calgary has been cancelled.
- The Alberta Speed Skating Casino Fundraiser scheduled for April 8-9 is to be confirmed; the Alberta Government has closed provincial casinos, but we have not officially heard that out fundraiser date is also cancelled.
- All Alberta Clubs have concluded the 2019-2020 season and are finishing year-end tasks, such as final membership updates, planning for equipment returns and inventory, as well as making tentative spring, summer and fall training and celebration plans.
We are primarily guided by the direction of the Alberta Government in our local and provincial efforts. This web site also has links to various physical and mental health resources.
SSC has created a COVID-19 web page for national speed skating updates which are pertinent to Alberta Athletes, Coaches, Clubs and other stakeholders:
March 13, 2020
Friday, March 13, 2020
Dear members and partners,
Alberta Amateur Speed Skating Association (AASSA) and its board of directors take the health and safety of everyone in our community very seriously. As such, we have reviewed the public health restrictions on mass gatherings as outlined by the Government of Alberta.
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Government of Alberta has implemented restrictions on events, including that the following should be cancelled:
- Events with more than 50 attendees that involves international participants, critical infrastructure staff, seniors, or other high-risk populations
- Large events with more than 250 attendees, including sporting events, conferences and community events. Please not that this does not include: places of worship, grocery stores, airports or shopping centres
Events that do not meet the above criteria can proceed, but risk mitigation measures must be in place, such as providing sanitizer stations and distancing between attendees. The board of directors of AASSA asks that you abide by these government restrictions. I have attached a copy of a poster made available by the Government of Alberta for your use locally.
Although the 2019-2020 season is near its end, many of you continue to have scheduled training sessions and/or local events. We ask that you take into consideration the restrictions and mitigation measures outlined by the Government of Alberta and those outlined by your municipal government, community agencies and facilities management teams.
Speed Skating Canada has communicated several cancelled events. Further to this, the following AASSA-sanctioned events have been cancelled:
- 18th Annual West Edmonton Mall Fun Meet (March 21, 2020)
- AASSA Level 3 Referee Clinic (April 3-5, 2020)
Please note that the clinic is cancelled due to facilitator availability and recommendations by the Government of Alberta for those returning from travel outside of Canada after March 12 to self-isolate for a period of 14 days. Further information will be provided by the VP – Officials.
We will continue to monitor the most up-to-date information regarding COVID-19 coronavirus for Albertans and will respond accordingly. This information is available at: https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx
Thank you to our clubs, athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers and community members for your patience and understanding.
President / Président
Alberta Amateur Speed Skating Association (AASSA)