Dates: October 13-14, 2018 (Saturday / Sunday)
Location: Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre, Red Deer College, 100 College Blvd, Red Deer, AB T4N 5H5
Sanctioned By: Speed Skating Canada (SSC) and Alberta Amateur Speed Skating Association (AASSA); as a Canada Winter Games Test Event, senior officials will be assigned by Speed Skating Canada
Coaches Meeting: To be confirmed (tentatively: Friday, October 12th, 6 p.m. Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre)
Registration: LINK to the registration form and the meet waiver
Entry Deadline: Friday, October 5th, 11:59 p.m
Entry Fee: $63.00 per skater
Alberta CWG Selections #2 Event, Oct. 13-14, 2018:
● Must be a member of an Alberta Club
● Must be CWG age eligible (14-18 on July 1, 2018)
● The top 12 AB CWG per gender (24 total) based on submitted 500m+1500m time will be entered in this category excluding the two skaters per gender who prequalified at WEC 1 (AB CWG ST Team Selection #1)
● Submitted 500m and 1500m times must have been skated between August 1, 2018 and October 11, 2018 in an AASSA sanctioned event.
Click here to be directed to the AASSA Skater Resources which includes full details about Alberta ST CWG Team Criteria, and the format for the 2019 Canada Winter Games ST event.
BC CWG Selections #2 Event Oct. 13-14, 2018
- Eligibility will be determined by BCSSA
Open Category Event, Oct. 13-14, 2018
Skaters who do not qualify for the Selections events may skate in the Open Category, along with other Open Class athletes:
● Junior C1 and up (all racing will be on the 111m track).
● Open Category - total number of skaters limited to 48 (24 male and 24 female)
Practice Ice for both divisions: Friday, October 12th, 7 pm-9pm.
- Medical coverage will be provided by Alberta Speed Skating and the Test Event Organizing Committee
- Skaters must sign up for a practice ice session
- Skaters must have certified coach present to supervise their practice.
- Follow this link to the online practice sheet sign up
Saturday, October 13th:
- 09:00 warm-ups 1500m Heats and Finals 500m Heats and Finals
Sunday, October 14th:
- 09:00 warm-ups 1000m Heats and Finals 1500m Finals 3000m Relays
Level 2 Timer's Clinic - will be held in parallel with the CWG Test Event (beginning on Friday evening)
There is a major convention happening in Red Deer the weekend of Oct. 13-14, but hotels will start releasing pre-blocked rooms for this convention on or before Sept. 12th, so it would be worth calling the hotels.
AASSA has blocked a few rooms for the CWG Test Event Meet (King Suites - with a pull-out couch) at:
- the Hampton Inn and Suites, Red Deer, Gasoline Alley (about 10-12 minutes from Red Deer College), 128 Leva Avenue, Red Deer
- (403) 346-6688
- King Suites (with pull-out) for $129 per night, including hot breakfast
- deadline to book with credit card and receive event room-rate: Thursday, September 20th, 2018
- mention Skater Rooms booked by Alberta Speed Skating for nights of Oct. 12th and Oct. 13th
Other Hotel Suggestions (no specific competition deals arranged for or blocked at these hotels):
- Comfort Inn and Suites, 6846 66 St, Red Deer, (403) 348-0025
- Quality Inn and Conference Centre, 7150 50 Ave, Red Deer, (403) 343-8800
- Sheraton Hotel, 3310 50 Ave, Red Deer, (403) 346-2091
- Holiday Inn Express North, 6433 Orr Dr., Red Deer, (587) 457-7829
- Holiday Inn, Red Deer (downtown), 2803 50 Ave, Red Deer, (403) 343-2112
- Holiday Inn and Suites, South (Gasoline Alley), 33 Petrolia Dr, Red Deer, (403) 348-8485
- Radisson Hotel, 6500 67 St, Red Deer, (403) 342-6567
- Best Western Suites, 6839 - 66 St., Red Deer; (403) 346-3555
Surrounding communities (Blackfalds, Lacombe, Sylvan Lake, Innisfail...) also have nice hotels and are within a reasonable driving distance to Red Deer College:
- Microtel Inn, 6021 Parkwood Rd, Blackfalds, (403) 885-9797
- Days Inn, 5004 33 St, Sylvan Lake, (403) 864-2088
- Comfort Inn and Suites, 13 Beju Ind. Drive, Sylvan Lake, (403) 887-7884
- Best Western Plus, 5027 Lakeshore Dr, Sylvan Lake, (403) 887-7788
- Days Inn, 5010 40 Ave, Innisfail, (403) 227-4405
Alberta Speed Skating and the Canada Winter Games Organizing Committee, with support from the Red Deer Central Lions Speed Skating Club.
Registration support provided by the Calgary Speed Skating Association.